- Peugeot RCZ enhanced with a new design style
- Enhancements to specification further increase desirability
- A performance model is to extend the range as the most powerful Peugeot yet
Peugeot is increasing the appeal and exclusivity of its popular RCZ Sports Coupé. Sensuous and sleek, sporty and elegant, its new style promotes its power and fluidity, strength and refinement, and affirms its distinctive singularity in the Peugeot range.
Its richness of expression is greatly increased by an extended range of colour and material combinations, both to exterior and interior, which will allow each customer to construct ‘their own’ RCZ. This increase in emotional power will continue next year with the introduction of a powerful 1.6-litre THP 260bhp version with enhanced performance, previewed by the ‘RCZ R Concept’ unveiled at the 2012 Paris Motor Show.
The RCZ fully embodies the new signature of Peugeot: MOTION & EMOTION. It is the most visible expression of the Marque's expertise:
- Expertise with its ‘Design Style’ - with a very strong design
- Expertise in producing ‘High Quality’ products with exclusive positioning
- Expertise with strong ‘Dynamic’ standards to combined ride and handling.
The RCZ has already created a desirable following with strong sales, excellent press coverage, and achievements in competition. It has won numerous awards from the public and the specialist press, in various countries, for its design, desirability and performance.
Adapted for competition from 2010 with a 200bhp HDi FAP diesel engine, it has twice won the D1T category (1700 to 2000cc diesel) at the 24 Hours Nürburgring.
Increase in emotional power
In this very specific market segment of sports coupés, the ‘enthusiasts’ of attractive cars with a distinctive style identity, dynamic capability and sportiness, are also aware of innovation.
They are looking for the latest, most attractive creation around a radical coupé, so it is necessary to renew and improve, responding to the constantly moving trend of this market. Strengthened by its success, less than three years after its commercial launch, the emblematic sports coupé of the Peugeot marque is adopting a new distinctive identity to embody more than ever the range enhancement and to embrace the MOTION & EMOTION signature of Peugeot.
The new RCZ will go on sale during the 1st quarter of 2013.
Exterior and interior emotion
The rejuvenation of the RCZ can be seen first of all through its style. From the initial sketches, the intention was to give this new RCZ a modern style, even more exclusive and unique than the current range.
A completely new front face, sporty and flowing, fully emphasises the power of its rear wings and the sensuous curves of its ‘double-bubble’ roof. This new synergy between the front and rear gives the bodywork an entirely new expression. The central air intake, now subtle and elegant, is enlivened by two satin chrome bars and provides the effect of strength and refinement.
The new grille is accentuated by a lower air intake which is extended on each side by a unique light signature, visible both day and night. This consists of six LEDs, subtly sculpted in the form of claws, behind a smoked lens which blends into a gloss black surround.
The new RCZ adopts an expression with flowing contours, both modern and technical, with new headlamps available in a halogen version with an Aluminium background or a directional Xenon version with a Titanium background.
The new appearance provides the RCZ with a new posture: well poised as well as having a unique identity, with a combination of enhanced power and sensuous expression. The interior has evolved to enhance features in detail, in particular:
- the gear lever surround which is now lacquered black,
- on GT models the door trim pads are trimmed with leather inserts, and two aluminium inserts adorn the dashboard / centre console.
Real everyday practicality
The RCZ has always been very practical, with a generous volume boot for its category, having a capacity of 384 litres, to which are added storage compartments under its floor (more than 30 litres extra). Folding the back of the two additional rear seats increases the maximum carrying capacity of the vehicle to 760 litres.
The rejuvenation of the RCZ is also expressed through an enhanced option range, consistent with its exclusive positioning, which allows each customer to create ‘their own’ vehicle character, making it a unique object reflecting their personality and taste.
The new RCZ has many personalisation components:
- A new lacquered black grille bars option, instead of the standard satin chrome bars, to give this new RCZ a different face;
- Three roof arch colours: Aluminium, Sand or the new Matt Black;
- A new ‘Black Pack’ groups together the new Matt Black arches and black grille bars with black brake callipers, and black exterior mirrors − components which are all also available separately;
– Three new types of bodywork Decals: a wide gloss black central stripe crossing the vehicle, grey and red lateral stripes on the body sills bearing the word ‘RCZ’, a silver grey off-set stripe crossing the vehicle from front to back;
– Two Carbon Roof options with a Matt or Satin finish;
– Ten alloy wheel designs, including two new designs:
- Sport model has 18" wheels and are available in three colours; Classic (standard), Dark Grey (two-tone diamond/dark grey) or Full Pirit Grey (mid grey);
- 19" Sortilège wheels (GT models) are available in three colours; Classic, Midnight Silver (dark grey) and Matt Black Onyx;
- 19" Solstice wheels are available in two colours, Anthra Grey (two-tone diamond/dark grey) or Matt Black Onyx (two-tone diamond/black)
- Two new 19" alloy wheel designs, Technical, two-tone diamond, modern and sculptural, available in two colours Grey (dark grey) and Héphaïs (mid grey)
– A Sports Pack, standard on the Sport and GT with the THP 200 petrol engine, includes a smaller diameter steering wheel, a shorter-throw gear lever and the ‘Sound System’ feature (available as an option on the THP 156 manual model).
Colours and trims
The range of colours consists of eight options, two of which are new; to the Opal White, Pearlescent White, Nera Black, Mercury Grey, Charcoal Grey and Dolphin Blue, are added new colours: Bistre and Moroccan Red.
Dynamic emotion and efficiency
With controlled weight, carefully designed aerodynamics and modern engine technology, the RCZ has established itself as an innovative mix of performance but with respect for the environment.
Modern and ecological engines
Its range of efficient engines, as regards both performance (generous torque and power) and consumption and emissions of CO2, is carried forward:
1.6-litre THP 200;
- 147kW (200bhp) Euro 5, 275Nm, 6-speed manual – CO2: 155g/km and 42.1mpg
2.0-litre HDi 163 FAP;
- 120kW (163bhp) Euro 5, 340Nm, 6-speed manual – CO2: 139g/km and 53.2mpg
1.6-litre THP 156 manual;
- 115kW (156bhp) Euro 5, 240Nm, 6-speed manual – CO2: 149g/km and 44.1mpg
1.6-litre THP 156 automatic;
- 115kW (156bhp) Euro 5, 240Nm, 6-speed automatic – CO2: 168g/km and 38.6mpg
Driving sensations and precision
Expressing all of Peugeot's expertise in terms of road holding, the RCZ takes the requirement of driving with precision and obtaining sensations to the highest level for the Marque, to intensify all of the driver's senses.
It benefits from tuned suspension and wheels originating from Platform Two (pseudo MacPherson front suspension, rear suspension with a deformable cross-member).
Increasing the effectiveness of this assembly, it has a particularly low ride height and centre of gravity, widened track and generous tyre choice (18" or 19" wheels).
The active rear aero spoiler also contributes to this performance, deployed in two positions according to the speed of the vehicle to ensure aerodynamics and stability.
Finally, when the RCZ is fitted with the THP 200 engine the front suspension incorporates bigger hubs and a special lower bracing bar to enhance road handling, making it more agile and aiding cornering stability.
Sound System technology
The ‘acoustic signature of the engine’ has also been enhanced aided by ‘Sound System’ technology (standard on the Sport THP 156 manual, and Sport and GT models with the THP 200 petrol engine models). It amplifies the characteristic sound of the engine through a controlled diaphragm that resonates and the vibration noise is louder as the revs of the engine rise during acceleration, while being less pronounced with more regular driving.
New standard or optional equipment
The new RCZ is now fitted as standard, with an acoustic windscreen and a Visibility Pack consisting of automatic wipers, automatic headlamps, electrochromatic interior mirror, guide-me-home lighting and approach lighting on unlocking.
Audio and Sat Nav options on RCZ are enhanced with the availability of Peugeot Connect Navigation (RT6). First introduced on 508, it incorporates:
- navigation with large 7" screen (WVGA high resolution 800 x 480 pixels) offering a perspective view mode and a European map (stored in the internal memory);
- a CD player on the control panel, MP3 compatible;
- a three-tuner radio with two aerials, reception of RDS-TMC traffic info (TrafficMaster in the United Kingdom);
- a Bluetooth® connection for the hands-free telephone function and audio streaming;
- a Jack and USB socket in the central armrest.
Another innovation offered on the RCZ, the RT6 system now incorporates the Arkamys© software which processes the digital audio signal to recreate a natural sound stage. The quality of the sound no longer suffers from the restrictions of the location of the speakers in the doors (which often results in sounds in the lower side areas): the instruments and voices are more harmoniously positioned in the space, facing the occupants, at windscreen level. This system also provides the option of directing the sound for the driver only or for all the passengers.
And coming soon… the ‘RCZ R’
Striving to be at the top of this exclusive, dynamic and sporty range, the ‘RCZ R Concept’ is unveiled at the Paris Motor Show. In a matt black and copper livery it echoes another Concept Car unveiled at the show: the ‘Onyx’ supercar.
The ‘RCZ R Concept’ previews a future version of enhanced sportiness, which will be introduced to the range at the end of 2013.
The Peugeot Sport and PSA Group Development teams are working together to adapt technology originating from the world of motor sport to make a production ready vehicle and once again turn a dream into reality.
Its new 1.6-litre THP 260bhp engine will make it the most powerful production model in Peugeot's history. A specific power of more than 160bhp/litre, among the highest in the world for a production vehicle, and CO2 emissions of approximately 155g/km, position it in a range of new high efficiency.Coherent with this engine, special suspension and wheels combined with a Torsen® limited slip differential promise dynamic and effective sensations of a very high level.
A special exterior signature and interior treatment will perfect this version with a high level of performance assured to offer intense driving sensations.