LOG IN

Share

Nurburgring cannot afford Ecclestone's fee - official

 Nurburgring cannot afford Ecclestones fee - official
Love the Ring, Nurburgring Nordschleife, 08.08.2012

A Nurburgring official has admitted the German circuit cannot afford to host formula one next year.

As per the existing German GP alternating scheme with Hockenheim, the Nurburgring was due to return to the sport's calendar in 2013.

But the venue has succumbed to its financial problems, recently commencing an insolvency process.

The future looked brighter last week, when the governing Rhineland-Palatinate state agreed to guarantee a loan so that the Nurburgring can service its debts.

Nurburgring Automotive GmbH (NAG) chief Jorg Lindner said: "I am very optimistic that formula one will be going to the Nurburgring next year."

He said talks with Bernie Ecclestone would take place over the summer.

"We don't want to lose any of the racetracks, and we need to keep the race in Germany," said F1's chief executive, Ecclestone. "We will do our best."

But the Nurburgring's development chief, Thomas Schmidt, has dealt the situation a renewed blow by revealing that Ecclestone would have to dramatically reduce or even forgo F1's race sanctioning fee.

Schmidt told DPA news agency that, in the "current situation", the Nurburgring cannot afford to pay that sort of money.

"If Ecclestone accepts an offer without this typical fee, we can certainly keep formula one," he said.

Otherwise, "We simply don't have the money", Schmidt admitted.

He said he is "confident" a solution will ultimately be found, but warned that an F1 race is "not absolutely necessary" for the Nurburgring's survival.

 

Published Aug 8, 2012 3:25 am
Posted in:

Add comment

subscribe to comments
comment rules Add comment

Comments (7)

djrandallp
Bernie is killing the sport all together with his greed. When the public sees him buying his daughters $95,000,000 homes to live in BY THEMSELVES, we see his greed and recognize that he's making way too much for what he provides.
Aug 8, 2012 10:48 am
1 1
techie69
Yup!!!
Aug 9, 2012 6:24 pm
0 0
dbehmoaras
Bernie already killed the Istanbul track. Now he's gonna kill this one too. Burn in hell.
Aug 8, 2012 10:31 am
1 1
sideskraper
Bernie had nothing to do with the Turkish Grand Prix's demise. The owners and promoters/organisers were the ones who caused it's downfall.
Aug 9, 2012 8:31 am
0 1
dbehmoaras
They're both to blame, they both asked for too much. Although you're right, and the government also wanted fees on top of it. The whole thing is all messed up.
Aug 9, 2012 9:55 am
1 0
dbehmoaras
They're both to blame, they both asked for too much. Although you're right, and the government also wanted fees on top of it. The whole thing is all messed up.
Aug 9, 2012 9:55 am
1 0
ucplayer
Stop being greedy Bernie ffs.
Aug 8, 2012 10:09 am
1 1
http://content.worldcarfans.co/templates/0/18