More Content, Value for Base Malibu; Lower Price for LTZ
2013 Chevrolet Malibu priced from $23,150, including destination charge
When the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan goes on sale this summer with an all-new 2.5L Ecotec engine and 10 standard air bags, it will carry a suggested retail price of $23,150, including a $760 destination charge.
The midsize segment's longest-running nameplate, the 2013 Malibu is available in LS, Eco, LT and LTZ models. Malibu Eco went on sale earlier this year, to be followed by the LS, LT and LTZ models. An all-new turbocharged Malibu LTZ will be available this fall - the first-ever turbocharged Malibu.
The base prices for all Malibu models - with a $760 destination charge - are:
- LS (1LS trim): $23,150
- LT (1LT trim): $24,765
- LT (2LT trim): $26,000
- Eco (1SA trim): $26,095
- Eco (2SA trim): $27,705
- LT (3LT trim with turbo): $27,710
- LTZ (1LZ trim): $28,590
- LTZ (2LZ trim with turbo): $30,925
The starting price represents a modest increase over the 2012 Malibu, at $22,870, but includes more content, features, safety equipment and technology. The base prices are lower for the uplevel LTZ models, which include all-new features such as Chevrolet MyLink with a seven-inch color-touch LCD screen, color LCD driver information center and dual-zone automatic climate controls.
The 2012 Malibu was the highest-performing midsize car in the 2012 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality StudySM announced Wednesday.
All 2013 Malibu models deliver more cabin space, a quieter driving experience and greater performance from the new Ecotec 2.5L engine. It is standard in LS, LT and LTZ models (an Ecotec 2.4L eAssist is standard in Malibu Eco) and rated at 197 horsepower (147 kW) - nearly 17 percent more than the previous model. Its fuel economy will be competitive for the segment, with highway mileage expected to approach the mid-30s.
The 2013 Malibu lineup also offers greater safety, with 10 standard air bags, as well as an available rearview camera system, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. It is also the first 2013 midsize car to earn double honors for safety, including a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and a 2012 Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety.
All models are covered by a transferrable five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, as well as a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty.
Standard powertrain and chassis content:
- Ecotec 2.5L direct injection with continuously variable valve timing, rated at 197 horsepower (147 kW)
- Six-speed automatic transmission with tap-shift control
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Panic brake assist
- Electronic park brake
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system
- Electric power steering (rack-mounted)
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Four-link rear suspension
- Sixteen-inch aluminum wheels
Standard exterior content:
- Active front lower grille aero shutters (LS, Eco, 3LT Turbo)
- Projector-beam headlamps with automatic exterior lamp control
- Fin-type combined OnStar/SiriusXM Satellite Radio antenna (body color)
- Acoustic-laminated, solar-absorbing glass
- Intermittent windshield wipers with structureless blades
Standard interior content:
- Air conditioning
- Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD with MP3 playback
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three-month trial period)
- Six-speaker sound system
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Cruise control
- Remote keyless entry
- Power windows with express down feature
- Power door and window locks
- Driver information center
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Steering wheel audio and cruise controls
- Driver's footrest
- Overhead console
- Compass display
- Two auxiliary power outlets
- Rear center armrest with storage
Standard safety content:
- Ten standard air bags, including dual-stage frontal air bags, driver and front passenger thorax side-impact air bags, driver and front passenger knee air bags and head curtain side-impact air bags (front and rear outboard seating positions) and rear outboard thorax side-impact air bags
- Safety belt pretensioners
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- OnStar with six months of Directions and Connections service, including Automatic Crash Response, Crisis Assist, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Remote Door Unlock and more
In addition to the content included on LS models, Eco, LT and LTZ models add:
- Seven-inch color touch-screen with concealed storage behind it
- Chevrolet MyLink connected radio
- Bluetooth streaming audio for select phones
- USB port and auxiliary input jack
- Ice-blue ambient lighting
- Dual-zone automatic climate control (Eco, 2LT, 3LT and LTZ models)
- Color driver information center (Eco, 2LT, 3LT and LTZ models)
- On 2LT, 3LT and LTZ models, an available advanced safety package adds Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. A leather package for Eco (2SA) and LT (2LT/3LT) adds leather-trimmed seating and heated front seats.
On LTZ, the following features are also standard:
- LED taillamps
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels
- Dual exhaust with bright chrome accents
- Silver grille insert
- Fog lamps
- Chrome door handles
- Leather-appointed seats
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver and passenger seats with power lumbar
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Remote start
- Power sunroof (2LZ)
- An available premium package on the LTZ adds passive entry/keyless access, push-button starting, high-intensity discharge headlamps and driver's memory seat and mirrors. Nineteen-inch wheels are also available.
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Black Granite Metallic
- Blue Topaz Metallic
- Summit White
- Crystal Red Tintcoat
- White Diamond Tricoat
- Taupe Gray Metallic
- Atlantis Blue Metallic
- Champagne Silver Metallic
Interior Color/Trim Choices:
- Jet Black
- Jet Black/Titanium
- Jet Black/Brownstone
- Cocoa/Light Neutral
The Malibu Eco is Chevrolet's most fuel-efficient Malibu ever. It is the first Chevrolet to feature General Motors' eAssist battery electric/gas propulsion system, which uses a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery and an electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking, electric assist and start-stop functionality. That helps deliver an EPA-estimated 25 mpg in city driving and 37 mpg on the highway.
All-new turbocharged powertrain
Malibu's first-ever turbocharged powertrain is offered on LT and LTZ. The Ecotec 2.0L turbo is SAE-certified at 259 horsepower (193 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm). Its peak torque is sustained from 1,700 to 5,500 rpm - a broad range that provides an immediate feeling of power in all driving conditions and helps produce 0-60 performance in 6.3 seconds.
The 2013 Malibu will be sold in nearly 100 countries on six continents and will serve as a flagship Chevrolet midsize in many parts of the world. The Malibu is built in multiple locations including the United States, China and Korea. In North America, Malibu is built at the Fairfax, Kan. and Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants.