LOG IN

Share

Ecclestone wants new contract for Nürburgring race

 Ecclestone wants new contract for Nürburgring race
Aerial views of the Nurburgring and the new development and facilities around it, German Grand Prix, Thursday, 09.07.2009 Nürburg, Germany / Copyright: Davenport / xpb

Bernie Ecclestone insists he wants to sign a new race contract with beleaguered German venue the Nürburgring.

At present, the future of the biennial event looks grim, after the Rhineland-Palatinate state cancelled the circuit operator's lease, and Nürburgring Automobile GmbH hit back by threatening legal action against the government.

Perhaps because F1's current world champion Sebastian Vettel is German, and because Hockenheim only wants to host one race every two years, the sport's chief executive Ecclestone sounds keen on a solution.

"If the government finds a new partner who agrees to have the race, then I am more than happy to agree to a new contract," the 81-year-old is quoted in the Rhein Zeitung newspaper.

"What we can make possible, we will make possible," added Ecclestone.

The relevant state government minister Roger Lewentz told the same newspaper that he is prepared to meet with Ecclestone.

"We want to continue with formula one at the Nürburgring, but at a reasonable rate," he said.

Ecclestone commented: "So far I have not heard from him (Lewentz)."

Published Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm
Posted in:

Add comment

Comments (1)

 sideskraper sideskraper
It would be nice to keep the nurburgring, but tbh neither German circuits are very exciting to watch these days.
0
0
February 16, 2012 12:21 pm