We have already seen a demonstration of the superb diesel engine technology which was born from the world of motorsport in the Audi R8 TDI Le Mans Concept. Now the German premium manufacturer presents us its latest concept – the A3 TDI Clubsport Quattro which once again displays awesome diesel power but this time in a model that the “average joe” can realistically think about attaining.
Despite the looks of a pimped A3, what you see here is a high tech sports, lets start with the hub of the concept – under the hood. Closely related to the R8 TDI Le Mans Concept, a 2.0-litre, common rail fuel injected TDI unit provides the power with a maximum output of 224 horsepower and 450Nm of torque. It is mated to six-speed transmission which drives the power to the 20 inch wheels with the quattro all-wheel drive system, stopping power is provided by six-piston brake calipers and ceramic discs on the front wheels. These impressive figures are well matched with its performance figures, 0-62mph is achieved in just 6.6 seconds, top speed lies at 149mph.
To compliment this powerful TDI engine, Audi have a number of technologically advanced systems incorporated with the highlight being the Audi drive select driving dynamics system which allows the driver to vary the throttle response characteristics of the exhaust sound, the level of power assistance for the steering and the cut-in thresholds for the ESP stabilization system. The dampers also deploy a magnetic ride technology which allows the system to react to changes in driving situations in lightning speed.
The exterior gets an extremely aggressive body kit which certainly gets the attention with the powerful front fascia with huge vents and the Audi signature grille whilst the rear gets a DTM-style rear spoiler and check those bolt on wheel arch extensions.
Audi describe this concept as a one-off show car, but considering we have just seen what looks like a production version of the completely unproducable (or so we thought) TT Clubsport Concept, we wouldn't be surprised to this one follow the same route.
- Four-cylinder TDI with common-rail injection system
- Displacement of 1968 cc, output of 165 kW (224 hp) and torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft)
- Optimized exhaust system
- 0 – 62mph in 6.6 seconds, top speed 149mph
- High-efficiency six-speed manual transmission with a lightweight casing, open gear lever gate made of aluminium
- quattro all-wheel drive with extremely fast-action multi-plate clutch
- Four-link rear suspension for dynamic handling and good comfort
- Power steering with highly efficient electric drive
- Wheels measuring 9 J x 20, tyre size 265/30
- Six-piston brake calipers and ceramic discs at the front wheels
- Audi drive select driving dynamics system with Audi magnetic ride adaptive damper control
Body and interior
- Length 4,254 millimeters (167.48 inches), width 1,825 millimeters (71.85 inches), height 1,385 millimeters (54.53 inches)
- Motorsport-look design, large rear spoiler
- Racing bucket seats and extra aluminium components in interior